Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A 3-week Program in Delhi, India...Why not?

When asked the question, "Why India?" I replied with, "Well, why not India? Who wouldn't want the opportunity to travel to a foreign country to escape the coldest month in Wisconsin?"

About Me

My name is Ashley Moore and I am a business administration and Spanish for business professions double major with a minor in international business. I studied abroad once in Valladolid, Spain where I had the opportunity to travel Europe and learn about different cultures and ways of life.

In order to complete my international business minor, I need "international business experience." I looked for internships abroad; however, most were unpaid and I really couldn't afford that plus being gone for another semester. One day I received an email about a new winterim study abroad program. I was eager to find out more information about the program and what I would get out of it.

Within a week, I had applied to the program but had to wait a month to find out whether I was accepted. In April I was accepted and time has been flying by ever since. Now I have less than ten days before I leave the United States to start this three-week journey in India.

From this experience, I hope to gain an understanding of the culture, life style, and norms of India. I expect to gain knowledge of India's society and build a connection with people of a different culture. India will change my life and help me prepare for my future by enriching the skills I need and providing me with a learning experience that I will never forget.

About the Program

The Delhi, India Winterim Program is a brand new program that has 12 lucky students to be the first ones to experience it. Those students are Abby Eddy, Heidi Ender, Sam Faber, Joe Freund, Kindra Kressin, Dustin Mitchell, Alex Molter, Ashley Moore, Emily Norgaard, Sara Palmer, Valentina Rangel, and Felicity Yuchen‎.

The program officially begins on January 2 at the Shri Ram College of Commerce. We will be staying in the University Guest House which will be dorm-like, with two people per room. Throughout the program, we will each be paired with two Indian buddies who will help get us accustomed to the Indian culture and show us a little bit of their lifestyle.

During the two weekends of our program, we will travel and sight see Delhi and surrounding cities. The first weekend, we will travel to Agra and Jaipur to complete India's "Golden Triangle" (Delhi-Agra-Jaipur). We don't know many details yet, but we were told we get to ride elephants! The second weekend, we will stay in Delhi and sight see.

On the final day of the program we will each, in groups with our Indian buddies, give a presentation on various topics we learned about India. Our final day in India is January 17.

About this Blog

Throughout our travels in India, three of us are required to blog about our experiences. We have been given some specific topics to discuss, but also plan to post about our individual adventures and experiences. The purpose of this blog is to inform readers, including prospective study abroad students, about this program and experiences to look forward to.

I look forward to blogging about India and hope everyone enjoys reading about our experiences.

-Ashley Moore, Business Administration and Spanish for Business Major

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete